May 22, 2013 (Monterrey, CA) — Google is launching a new fund through which it will make later-stage investments in technology companies, a Google executive said Wednesday.
The fund, to be called Google Capital, will be announced this summer but has already made three investments to date, said Mike Pearson, a general partner at Google Capital, at the Red Herring 2013 conference in Monterey, California.
Google already operates a fund, called Google Ventures, through which it invests in startups working in areas like mobile computing, gaming, big data and life sciences. Google Ventures has funded more than 150 companies to date, including Nest and DocuSign.
While Google Ventures tends to make early-stage investments in companies, the new investment arm, Google Capital, will be aimed at the “growth equity side of the market,” Pearson said during a panel at the conference.
“There are a wealth of people out there doing amazing things and we should be able to leverage Google to empower them,” he said.
Pearson didn’t identify the companies Google Capital has invested in so far, but said the fund will invest in areas adjacent to Google’s business, including potentially Internet infrastructure and digital video.
The fund hasn’t been formally announced and a “coming out party” is planned for the summer, Pearson said. He didn’t disclose the initial size of the fund or provide any other details.
Google Ventures invested a total of $51.8 million last year, according to a recent regulatory filing. Venture funds tend to make smaller investments in companies, while capital funds can sometimes invest significantly larger amounts.
“Google Capital is a very smart move” for Google, according to Ivan Nikkhoo, managing director at Siemer & Associates, which provides capital raising and other financial advisory services to tech companies.
In some cases, other businesses have acquired the companies Google made early-stage investments in, he said. Google Capital could provide Google with a way to take more control over the companies Google Ventures invests in. “Google wants to make sure they’re there for the life cycle of the company,” Nikkhoo said. “They want to make sure they control the strategic assets along the way.”
The fund might focus on areas like mobile commerce, location-based services, or technologies for delivering more personalized content and search results, he said. Google is trying to provide more “contextualized” search results with services like Google Now.
One of Google Ventures’ current projects is the Glass Collective, for funding startups that are looking to build products for the Google Glass augmented reality system. Other investments have been made in RetailMeNot, TuneIn and Pocket.
- Managing Director Ivan Nikkhoo Discusses Launch of Google Capital With IDG
- David Siemer Speaks on Keynote Roundtable at Red Herring 2013 Top 100 North America Conference
- Ivan Nikkhoo Writes About Raising Growth Capital for SoCalTech
- John Rudolph Speaks on Music Branding and Commerce Panel at Digital Hollywood
- David Siemer Speaks on What It Takes to Get Funded Today Panel at DMW Games
- Ivan Nikkhoo Speaks About Declining PC Sales with CNN
- Dan Chen Speaks on Yale in Hollywood Entertainment Conference Panel
- Siemer & Associates Releases Q1 2013 Siemer Mobile Report
- Dan Chen Speaks on Finance Panel at DMW Music 2013
- Siemer & Associates Advises TapIt! on its Sale to Phunware, Inc.
- Ivan Nikkhoo, Managing Director of Siemer & Associates LLC, Joins Digital Jersey Board of Directors
- David Siemer Honored as Power Player at AlwaysOn’s OnHollywood 2012 Private Dinner
- Siemer & Associates Advisor, John Rudolph, Speaks with Bloomberg TV on Apple’s Streaming Radio Service
- Martin Lichauco to Judge ON3 Nationals Hosted by STAC Silicon Valley
- Ivan Nikkhoo to Speak on Mobile Video Market at OnMobile 2012
- David Siemer Highlighted in 89.3 KPCC Article that Discusses VC Investing Concerns
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors PWC’s Shaking the MoneyTree Report, Hosted by LAVA
- David Siemer Speaks on Valuing and Financing Entertainment Content Panel at Digital Hollywood Spring
- Siemer & Associates LLC Expands Operations with the Addition of Dan Chen as Managing Director
- David Siemer Interviewed by Forbes: Investment Dollars for Start-Ups: Who’s Getting the Cash?
- Siemer & Associates and Siemer Ventures Launch WaveMaker Labs, a Singapore-based Technology Incubator Certified by the Singaporean Government
- Martin Lichauco Discusses Telecom Incubators with the Philippine Daily Inquirer
- David Siemer Discusses Capital Market Trends in Mergermarket’s Deal Drivers Americas 2011 Report
- Siemer & Associates LLC Advises Fetch Technologies on its Sale to Connotate
- Martin Lichauco to Present on Cross-Border Transactions for Lex Mundi in Manila
- David Siemer Discusses “Four Pitfalls that Sabotage Startup Growth” with SandHill.com
- Ivan Nikkhoo to Serve as Judge at USC Global Consulting Challenge
- Ivan Nikkhoo Serves on Early Stage Financing Panel
- David Siemer Discusses Global VC Trends with KPCC’s DeBord Report
- David Siemer Discusses 2012 Ad Network M&A and IPO Trends with MergerMarket
- David Siemer Interviewed in Hollyisco: 2012 M&A and Venture Capital Trends
- Ivan Nikkhoo Serves on Panel at Venture Summit Silicon Valley 2011
- Siemer & Associates LLC Publishes Q3 Digital Media and Software M&A Activity Exit Report
- Adconion Media Group Makes Global ‘Land Grab’ for Video Advertising Market
- Ivan Nikkhoo Serves on Private Equity in the New Economy Panel
- Ivan Nikkhoo Speaks at Los Angeles October AlmaSession
- David Siemer and Martin Lichauco to Judge Infant Companies at Startup Weekend Manila
- Ivan Nikkhoo Sits on YPO Mobile Technology Summit Panel
- Siemer Silicon Beach Summit Featured in Los Angeles Business Journal Article
- Siemer & Associates Advises mDialog on $5 Million in Series A Investment from Blackberry Partners Fund
- Siemer Silicon Beach Summit Highlighted in Investor’s Business Daily Article
- Siemer & Associates Publishes Fall 2011 Mobile Landscape Report
- Siemer Silicon Beach Summit Featured in Hollyisco
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors PWC’s Shaking the MoneyTree Report, Hosted by LAVA
- Martin Lichauco Featured in Asian Venture Capital Journal
- Morphlabs Raises $5 Million in Series C Financing
- Siemer & Associates Publishes Online Advertising Landscape Report
- Siemer & Associates and Frontera Group Join Forces to Form Siemer Ventures
- Ivan Nikkhoo Featured in Los Angeles Business Journal Article
- David Siemer Featured in Mergermarket Article
- Siemer & Associates LLC Extends Reach to Asia with Hong Kong Office, Hires Martin Lichauco as Managing Director ─ July 21, 2011
- Ivan Nikkhoo Elected to Los Angeles Venture Association (LAVA) Board of Directors
- Siemer & Associates Advises GoTV Networks, Inc. on its Sale to Phunware, Inc. ─ July 12, 2011
- Siemer & Associates LLC Provides Financial Advisory Services to Dedicated Media
- David Siemer Featured in Los Angeles Business Journal Article
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors L.A. Dealmakers’ Summer Soirée 2011 on July 21
- Siemer & Associates LLC Advises Pringo, Inc. on its Merger with MobileBits Holdings Corp. ─ July 1, 2011
- Ivan Nikkhoo to Moderate Panel at LAVA Investment Capital Conference 2011 ─ June 22, 2011
- Siemer & Associates LLC Advises Countdown Media LP on its Sale to Bug Music, Inc. ─ June 14, 2011
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors PwC’s Shaking the MoneyTree ─ May 26, 2011
- Shoedazzle Receives New Investment Round; Siemer & Associates Advises — May 18, 2011
- Siemer Ventures Makes Second Investment in Ranker – April 4, 2011
- Siemer Ventures Invests in Marketfish – January 10, 2011
- Siemer Ventures Invests in Morphlabs, Inc. – January 4, 2011
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors Digital Hollywood: Fall – October 18-21, 2010
- Siemer Ventures Invests in Phunware – October 15, 2010
- Siemer & Associates Sponsors Charity Ball for Kiva – May 15, 2010
- Siemer & Associates Will Be At Digital Hollywood: Spring – May 3-6 2010
- Siemer Ventures Invests in Ranker – April 26, 2010
- Siemer & Associates Announces the Hiring of Jonathan Roth as a Director
- David Siemer Speaks at SXSW 2010 – March 13th, 2010
- See David Siemer Speak At CES 2010
- Siemer & Associates Announces the Hiring of Michael Mizrahi as an Analyst
- Siemer & Associates Announces the Hiring of Garrett Taylor as an Analyst
- Siemer & Associates Advises Levelvision: College on its Sale to Visser Digital Media
- David Siemer Selected as Speaker at CES 2009
- Siemer Ventures Announce Investment in Xcast Labs
- Siemer & Associates Advises Adengage on its Sale to Technorati
- Lockheed Martin Completes Acquisition of Aculight Corporation
- Shelfari Joins the Amazon.com Family
- Siemer & Associates Announces Office Move
- WidgetBucks Secures $10 Million to Expand Internet’s Fastest Growing Ad Network
- J.D. Power and Associates Acquires Umbria Inc.; Expands Voice of the Customer Research Capabilities on the Web
- Answerology Sold to Hearst Magazines Online Q&A Community Platform to be Integrated Into Hearst’s Sites
- TurnHere Secures $7.5M in Venture Capital Funding from Venrock and Hearst Interactive Media
- Covario, Inc. (Formerly SEMDirector) Raises $16 Million B Round led by FTVentures
- WPP Acquires Blast Radius
- WPP Acquires Marketing Leader, Schematic
- CBS Buys SignStorey
- Thomson Acquires Distributor
- Corporate Executive Board Completes Acquisition of ITtoolbox, Extends Service with the Addition of a Professional Online Community
- The Walt Disney Company Acquires Club Penguin
- Hearst Corporation to Acquire UGO Networks: Deal Signifies Hearst’s First Major Step Into Digital Entertainment
- Jupitermedia Announces Acquisition of Mediabistro.com Online Community and Job Board Serving Media & Creative Professionals
- Pulvermedia Recapitalized with Debt by Technology Investment Capital Corp.
- Vantage Media Secures Series A Financing of $70 Million
- Fidelity National Real Estate Solutions Announces Acquisition of Go Apply
- Story Worldwide Taps Private Equity from Seaport Capital to Merge with Byte Interactive
- Hearst Magazines Announces Acquisition of eCRUSH.COM, Inc.
- Data Company Finalizes $134m Takeover of Opinion Research Corporation
- « Older Entries